A couple of months ago I jumped on the Couch Potato to 5K running bandwagon after learning of several friends who had also taken the challenge. Now before this I placed myself in the "I hate running" category coming from my adolescence...I ran track in 7th grade and after pushing myself hard enough to vomit I decided I would be done with that business for good. Fast forward to "today" and after years away from formal exercise, no budget and 2 kids later I decided maybe I could give it a try. I could handle classifying myself as a couch potato and after hearing the program's praises from others who enjoyed the slow-train-yourself-to-run-again program I put on my tenny-boppers, grabbed my ipod and headed out the door.
I chose to use Robert Ullrey's free podcast to help coach me along. It is a 3 day a week program lasting 9 weeks with the end goal being a straight run for 30 minutes. I've not made it to the end goal yet but I have run for 25 minutes straight which was shocking and rewarding....when he gave me my last minute marker I couldn't keep the smile from covering my face. I've been experiencing a new high in this exercise endeavor - the joy of reaching a goal....it feels exhilarating (maybe because this goal is running).
I have learned I really like to run. Especially on a sunny morning, love to breath in the fresh air.
This morning my ipod was low on battery so I decided to just head out with only my stopwatch feature on my watch to guide me. I was worried I'd lose steam without my techno beat pushing me along in my strides but I found with the quiet I could focus my mind and have a nice morning conversation with the Lord.
Just so you don't have any false picture of me...I'm not a routinely disciplined person, I don't usually get my 3 days of running in each week. And I have no amazing weight loss testimony to give but I do know that I'm making my body healthier and stronger and that I really enjoy it and so I keep pluggin along!
Saturday, September 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
you rock!!!!! i'm so stinkin jealous!!!
some nights i dream i am a runner....so maybe i will bew ib real life someday! :)
miss you, friend...
sorry...typing one handed...
"...maybe i will be in real..."
YEAH!
Now run for me so I don't have to.
The only runnin' you'll see me involved with is if McDonald's announces free double cheeseburgers...
Got a real soft spot for them... A pretty large soft spot actually... Starts just below my nipples and ends just above my waistline.
It's called a huge belly.
Post a Comment